- "Lucrezia is pregnant! This is a complication we did not need!"
- ―Perotto discovering Giovanni's conception.[src]
- "Nonno is going to let me play with the Apple today! He says it is not a toy, but I think it is a toy. It glows. It makes noises. Sometimes it talks to me like Consus does."
- ―Giovanni, regarding the Apple.[src]
- "父さん嫌いだ お爺ちゃんはリンゴのことばかりで、叔母ちゃんはいつも悲しんでいる 私は彼らから逃げ出したい！ どこか別の場所に住みたい"
- "I have studied these relics from our past, these Pieces of Eden, and I have even wielded them on rare occasion. I have spent my life theorizing and mapping, but never before have I had the opportunity to hunt one."
- ―Giovanni, as he travels to the New World.[src]
- "Maria protests how much time I spend with the skull. At least an hour each day. Gazing into it, listening. The hum has grown louder over the years. It feels as if something is coming."
- "The book is incomplete. For the answers you seek... you will need the other half."
- ―Bombastus to Giovanni.[src]
1527年 In 1527, some time after accidentally reading the mysterious tome that Bombastus owned, and using it to help craft the Philosopher's Stone, Giovanni confronted Bombastus to ask him further questions. However, the Professor only proclaimed that he could help him no longer, and that the Book held no more answers as it was incomplete.
Thus, Giovanni began to research a means of finding the other half of the Book, with the help of one of Bombastus' apprentices, Maria Amiel. The two found that the tome was entitled "Divine Science," and had been written by a French alchemist named Nicolas Flamel. They thus traveled together to Paris, France.
They tracked a grimoire down to the nephew of Perenelle Flamel, but found that the manuscript was only a translation. However, the grimoire contained Pythagorean symbols, and notes of Hermetic practices, thus reminding Giovanni of an ancient Pythagorean temple found by fellow Assassin Ezio Auditore da Firenze in 1506.
Return to Basel 編集
- "Giovanni's mood continues to darken. When we enter Troyes, he calls it "the Vipers' Nest." It is only a whisper. I do not dare question him."
- ―Maria observing Giovanni as they visit Troyes.[src]
On their way back to Basel, Giovanni insisted that they pass by Troyes, though he did not tell Maria why. As Maria lingered by a clothier near Troyes' cathedral, Giovanni vanished from her side, and soon after, she was approached by a man in a tunic marked with a red cross.
As he began to ask her peculiar questions, Giovanni appeared behind him and ended his life with his Hidden Blade. Though he at first accused Maria of "conspiring with the Viper," upon seeing her tears, he realized his mistake, and the two returned their attention to their travels.
Since Giovanni had discovered a report containing their descriptions, he and Maria fled Troyes. In a nearby wood, they were attacked by "Minions of the Cross," though Giovanni was able to drive them off; and afterwards, the two were able to avoid further trouble.
Upon arriving in Basel, they found that Bombastus had gone mad, and had begun burning books and accusing doctors of unholy practices. Giovanni was forced to restrain him, and later, he and Maria retrieved the first half of the Book from Bombastus' laboratory.
Pythagorean Temple 編集
- "We must go to this place, Maria. I know there is something there. I know it! Trust me!"
- ―Giovanni, after finding a map to the temple.[src]
Some time after, Giovanni discovered a map to the Pythagorean temple, and asked that Maria accompany him. Though he admitted that the previous visitor to the temple had found nothing, he insisted that he knew there was something that still lay hidden within it. Trusting him, Maria agreed, and the two traveled together down into the catacombs.
Giovanni opened the way for them, rearranging bricks and lighting an urn that lit the room with a trail of fire. Finally, as they entered the last chamber, it became illuminated with eerie patterns, numbers, and glyphs.
At that moment, Giovanni fell unconscious, and when he woke, his face had been altered, startling Maria. He then spoke in a distant voice that was not his, but appeared to be from an entity far older; one that called itself "Consus, the Erudite God."
Modern times 編集
Centuries later, Giovanni would come to be known as the Infans Romanus, or "Child of Rome."
Interested in the mystery of his parentage, as well as the events of his supposedly insignificant life, Abstergo Industries would later have their recruits analyze large sections of Giovanni's memories, including the circumstances of his birth, much of his childhood, and his search for the Pieces of Eden.
Personality and characteristics 編集
- Maria: "Remind me again why I married you?"
- Giovanni: "Because I charmed you off your feet and never let you down!"
- ―Giovanni teasing Maria as they travel through the catacombs.[src]
Giovanni was a very gracious and confident nobleman, who often spoke lightheartedly, and teased his friends. Despite his cheerful nature, he also had something of a temper, once shouting at and threatening Bombastus for not answering his questions.
He was also quite serious in his work as an Assassin, often becoming withdrawn and moody when concentrating on his assignments. Though protective of his allies, he once assaulted Maria, merely out of the suspicion that she had been conspiring with the Templars.
From an early age, Giovanni suffered several bleeding effect-like symptoms, likely as a result of being healed by the Shroud. He would often dream of the memories of Assassins past, including those of Perotto, and Marcus Junius Brutus. Because of these hallucinations, he once almost stabbed Cesare while sleepwalking, thinking himself to be Brutus, and his uncle to be Gaius Julius Caesar. However, he was caught and subsequently punished by Micheletto.
For possibly the same reasons, throughout his childhood, Giovanni would speak to a mystical being called Consus, whom no one else could see. Consus acted as his guardian, encouraging him to join the Assassins, and eventually seeming to "possess" him in the Pythagorean Temple.
Romantic life 編集
- "For a long time, Giovanni gazes into my eyes, his fury gradually melting. His hold upon me remains strong, but I stop trembling. We kiss, passionately."
- ―Giovanni and Maria finally sharing a romantic moment.[src]
After meeting each other in 1527, Giovanni and Maria became inseparable, growing close over their travels to Paris and back to Basel. He protected her from brigands who once attempted to rob them, as well as Templars who attacked them as they fled Troyes.
After Maria accidentally spoke with one of Giovanni's assassination targets in Troyes, he began to suspect her, holding a blade to her throat and demanding to know why she was conspiring with his enemy. When she began to cry, he realized his mistake, and after a moment, the two kissed, and admitted their feelings for one another.
Several years afterwards, Giovanni married her. Though Maria only later found out about Giovanni's allegiance to the Assassin Order, she nevertheless supported him in his assignments, even accompanying him through the catacombs into the Pythagorean Temple.
They remained together at least until 1542, when Maria protested against Giovanni's obsession with studying the Crystal Skull.
- Giovanni came into contact with at least three Pieces of Eden; the Shroud, the Apple, and the Crystal Skull. This is the greatest variety of Pieces of Eden that any one character has been known to encounter, and is tied only by Ezio Auditore.
- Giovanni and his wife Maria shared the names of Ezio's parents, Giovanni and Maria Auditore da Firenze.
- Frater V.O.V. often thought of Giovanni and Maria, once even confusing Giovanni's memories with his own.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy - Italian Wars: Chapter 4 - Perotto Calderon
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy - Rome: Chapter 2 - Giovanni Borgia
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy - Rome: Chapter 1 - Fiora Cavazza
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy - Rome: Chapter 4 - Giovanni Borgia
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy - Divine Science: Chapter 1 - Maria Amiel
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - The Da Vinci Disappearance